This recipe was given to me (and a few other friends) by a girlfriend who loves the Japanese culture and can speak Japanese very well. Originally written in Japanese, my friend super kindly translated the recipe into English for us. It is an original Japanese cheesecake!
Till date, this is one of my most treasured recipes - easy to follow instructions with many useful personal tips. And best of all, it never fails.
- 250 g Cream Cheese, softened at room temperature
- 80 g Granulated Sugar, divided
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 2 Egg White
- 80 g Fresh Cream
- 20 g Corn Starch
- 1.5-2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Using a hand whisk, whisk the cream cheese till smooth
- Add half the amount of the granulated sugar and whisk well
- Add the egg yolk one at a time and whisk well after each addition
- Add in the fresh cream, cornstarch and lemon juice and whisk well. Set aside
- In another mixing bowl, add a pinch of the remaining half of the sugar into the egg white
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg white until it turns white
- Add the remaining sugar in 2-3 additions. Whisk well after each addition until stiff peaks form. This is the meringue.
- Preheat oven to 170DdegC
- Using a hand whisk, whisk half of the meringue into the cream cheese mixture. Whisk well but gently.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the rest of the meringue - in 2-3 additions, into the cream cheese mixture. The mixture is done when the meringue cannot be seen (well folded)
- Pour the final mixture into a lined 18-cm round cake tin and bake at 170degC for 1 hr until cake is done, i.e. insert a toothpick and it should come out clean (I needed to bake mine for 1.5hrs)
- Remove cake from the oven and cool in tin for 10 min. remove from tin and cool completely on a cool rack