Finally managed to find some time for baking this week!
In mood for cupcakes and nuts!
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 50 g caster sugar (I reduced to 40 g as I used honey in this recipe)
- 100 ml golden syrup (substituted with honey since I had no golden syrup)
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice (I used cinnamon)
- 50 g chopped nuts (I used almond)
For the topping
- 3 tsp double cream
- 1 tsp milk
- 50 g milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 50 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 75 g roasted chopped hazelnuts (I also used almonds)
- Preheat oven to 190degC. Line 12 muffin tin with paper muffin cases
- Put the butter, flour, sugar, syrup, eggs, baking powder, mixed spice and nuts in a large bowl. Whisk the mixture using a hand held electric whisk until pale and creamy. Divide the mixture equally among the paper cases
- Bake for 20 mins or until risen and golden. Leave in tin to cool for 5 mins and then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Heat the cream and milk in a small saucepan until near boiling. Put both chocolates into a bowl and pour the hot cream over them. Leave to stand for 5 mins and stir until smooth
- Put the hazelnuts into a shallow bowl. Dip the top of the cake into the chocolate cream, allow excess to drip off then dip into the nuts until coated all over. Stand the cakes upright on the wire rack and leave for about 1 hour to set.