anyway, the word "Munavalgekook" is Estonian for "egg white cake". unlike angel cakes which also use only egg whites and contain little/no fat, munavalgekook has added fat and is taste buttery and moist. coupled with the aroma of matcha powder, i think it is wonderful as as a tea-time snack with any brewed tea!
I chose to bake this cake in a bundt pan. I love making bundt cakes as they already look pretty on its own.
(adapted from closetdomesticbunny)
- 6 large egg whites
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 100g butter, melted and let cool
- 150g caster sugar (original recipe called for 200g)
- 160g self-raising flour
- 2tbsp of cornflour
- 1tsp of baking powder
- 1tbsp matcha green tea powder (could add 1/2tsp if desired)
- Line your baking tin and pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and sift a few times until ingredients are all mixed thoroughly.
- Beat the egg whites and 2 tbsp of sugar with a hand mixer until pale and foamy, or if you'd like the cake fluffier until soft peaks form.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the beaten egg whites. Fold with a spatula gently.
- Add the melted (but cool) butter and mix gently.
- Pour into the baking tin and bake for 30-40 minutes. Mine baked for about 45 min.
- let cook in the bundt for 5min and transfer to cool on a cooling rack