Chocolate Cupcakes (adapted from Martha Stewart)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar (I reduced it to half cup)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- Into a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with sour cream and beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
- Decorate as desired.
- 1/2 stick butter, at room temp
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 Tbsp grapefruit zest, unpacked
- 1 1/2 Tbsp grapefruit juice
- 1/2 tsp Marks & Spencer Bat's Blood
- Cream the butter, powdered sugar, salt, and grapefruit zest on high 3 to 4 minutes. Add the bat's blood and mix for another minute