Thursday 14 July 2011

A rare birthday cake

I was elated when my colleagues suggested that I could bake a cake for a little surprise party that we were planning for our birthday colleague (the usual practice was getting a gift and buying a cake). Not only was there a greater motivation for me to bake, I felt kind of touched that my colleagues trusted my baking skills and didn't mind. It mattered so much to me; it was a form of recognition, no matter how small it might seem. That was two days ago.

Yesterday, I was on medical leave. The flu bug hit me the night before. But I was still determined to bake a birthday cake for the birthday girl. And so I did! It was a rare birthday cake because I made a chiffon cake for her! Birthday cakes, as everyone knows it, are often elaborated with coloured frostings or whipped cream, well-piped wordings and decorations and/or topped with candied/fresh fruits. Mine was absolutely simple - dark chocolate chiffon cake with chocolate rice & almond nuts.

Though still drowsy from my flu medicine, I somehow thought it was a breeze to go to work today even with a big cake container. Maybe it was the drowsiness that made me oblivious to the peak hour crowd. But more likely I think it was because of the cake that I was holding. Regardless, I think my colleagues enjoyed it. Or did they not? Erm... I think they did. ;)

I am nothing but grateful for my colleagues who are always appreciative of my bakes and generous with words of compliment.

 

Dark Chocolate Chiffon Cake

Ingredients A

  • 50 g Cake flour
  • 20 g Cocoa powder
  • 10 g Corn flour
  • 60 ml Chocolate milk (I used normal milk)
  • 1/2 tsp Instant coffee (I omitted)
  • 50 ml Corn oil (I used canola oil)
  • 4 Egg yolks
  • 1 tsp Chocolate paste (or black forest paste)


Ingredients B

  • 4 Egg whites
  • 60 g Sugar
  • 1/2 tsp Cream of tartar (I substituted it with salt)

Method for A

  1. Heat chocolate milk and instant coffee powder until the latter dissolves. Set aside
  2. Whisk egg yolks, add milk, corn oil and continue to whisk till well-mixed
  3. Add in the sifted flour/corn flour and mix till batter resembles a thick paste

Method for B

  1. Whisk egg white and cream of tartar till bubbly
  2. Add in sugar a little by little and continue to whip until soft peaks form
  3. Fold in 1/3 of egg white into chocolate batter
  4. Pour chocolate batter into the rest of the egg white and continue to fold in gently
  5. Pour batter into chiffon pan
  6. Bake in a preheated oven of 160degC for 45 min


No comments:

Post a Comment